|Job Title*:||Bus Dispatcher I ||Pay Grade*:||110/ Starting Salary: $43,292 |
|Section*:||Bus Dispatch Control Center ||Job Code:||0375 |
|Division*:||Service and Inspect Facility ||FLSA/EEO:||Non-exempt/Office and Clerical |
|Department*:||Bus Operations || || |
Performs supervisory duties related to directing bus operators and fixed route bus services, provides radio support and communications in coordinating the day-to-day operation of the Dallas Area Rapid Transit's (DART) bus service. Assures compliance with all applicable rules and procedures in the delivery of service to assure a safe and efficient operation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Bus Dispatchers hold primary responsibility for communicating and coordinating the on street operation of DART bus services.
- Provides two-way radio communications support to buses, Field supervisors and maintenance service trucks by operating the Integrated Radio System (IRS) in accordance with DART rules/procedures and FCC regulations utilizing appropriate protocols.
- Provides operational support for bus operators and field supervisory personnel by assisting with accident information and locations, reporting heavy traffic areas that cause bus delays, arranging road calls and notifying personnel of street closures or construction in the DART operating cities.
- Assists field supervisors by coordinating late or no relief situations with operators secured by station office staff.
- Coordinates responses to internal and external agencies regarding incidents/accidents by notifying EMS for medical support, DART Police for traffic control, media liaison as appropriate, and safety and operations management team members via alpha page.
- Relays information to Customer Response Center to inform callers of bus delay.
- Monitors headway/schedule adherence to ensure on time performance. Provides schedule delays to field supervisors and scheduling for more run time. Instruct and assist operators to arrive and depart time points accordingly.
- Notifies field supervisory personnel of situations impacting the delivery of scheduled service.
- Tracks, reports and documents incidents/accidents, service delays and vehicle problems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Note: An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted for the below stated minimums excluding High School Diploma, GED, Licenses, or Certifications.
- Associates Degree from an accredited college or university in field of expertise (e.g. Business Administration, Public Administration, Transportation, Human Resources, Planning, Safety, Curriculum Development or other technical fields applicable to DART Transportation
- Three (3) years transit operations or operational related experience to include one (1) year of call handling which includes assessing and identifying solutions to resolve critical operational issues.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of software packages to include Word, Excel and similar programs.
- Valid Texas License, no Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) conviction within the last sixty (60) consecutive months, not more than one (1) DWI on driving record, and not more than three (3) convictions of moving violations within the last thirty-six (36) consecutive months on driving record in order to operate DART non-revenue vehicles.
- Applicants and employees in these designated safety-sensitive positions are subject to DOT/FTA regulations which include DOT preemployment drug testing and random alcohol and drug testing as a condition of continued employment.
- Ability to be dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services. Acts with customers in mind. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Ability to use rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions. Can see hidden problems. Is excellent at honest analysis. Looks beyond the obvious and does not stop at the first answers.
- Ability to step up to conflicts, seeing them as opportunities. Read situations quickly. Good at focused listening. Can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably. Can find common ground and get cooperation with minimum noise.
- Ability to create a climate in which people want to do their best. Can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team or project members. Can assess each person?s hot button and use it to get the best out of him/her. Pushes tasks and decisions down. Empowers others, Invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility. Makes each individual feel his/her work is important.
- Ability to make good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment). Most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time. Sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles. Can get messages across that have the desired effect.
Reports to Mgr Control Ctr -Bus Dispatch *
Works in an environment where there is minimum exposure to dust, noise, or temperature. May be moderately exposed to unpleasant working conditions to include dust, noise, temperature, weather, petroleum products, and chemicals while visiting DART's operating facilities, assuming incumbent is observing all policies and procedures, safety precautions and regulations, and using all protective clothing and devices provided.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may perform other duties as assigned.
DART is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, supporting diversity in the workplace. M/F/D/V