|Job Title*:||Fare Enforcement Officer ||Pay Grade*:||107 / Salary commensurate with|
experience and education
|Section*:||DART Police Fare Enforcement ||Job Code:||0443 |
|Division*:||DART Police Headquarters ||FLSA/EEO:||Non-exempt/Protective Service |
|Department*:||DART Police || || |
Responsible for inspecting customer fares on DART rail system to ensure customers are riding with valid passes, responds with enforcement action when appropriate, and deals with customers that may potentially become rude, uncooperative or defensive.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Inspects and enforces customer fares on DARTs transportation rail system for validity, proper time and date, month, year and authenticity. Ensures a DART photo ID accompanies reduced fares for seniors, high school students, disabled, or Medicare cardholders. Inspects reduced monthly passes to ensure that the holder has signed it.
- Issues citations or warnings to customers on board without proper fare or photo ID. Completes forms on citation or warning from information provided by customer. Provides appropriate copies of citation or warning to customer. Maintains and submits records and reports of activity.
- Assists customers with purchasing tickets from Ticket Vending Machines (TVM). Uses TVM training to assist and educate customers on proper use of TVM. Reports TVM problems to DART Police Dispatch center.
- Reports disruptive behavior on the system or DART property to DART Police.
- Testifies in court regarding issued citations.
- Wears DART uniform during working hours.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Note: An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted for the below stated minimums excluding High School Diploma, GED, Licenses, or Certifications.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Two (2) years heavy customer service experience (in criminal justice or related field preferred) in dealing with customers that may potentially become rude, uncooperative or defensive.
- Valid Texas Drivers License or possess a comparable drivers license from another state of the United States. No more than one (1) Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) conviction on driving record. No more than three (3) moving violation convictions within last 36 months.
- Successful completion of selection process including polygraph exam, psychological evaluation, and background investigation.
- Proficient using PC and various software applications.
- Pass physical (medical) examination which includes a drug screen.
- Written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate with all levels, both inside and outside of DART.
- Must be able to: be physically active for prolonged periods of time; stand and walk on all types of surfaces, including uneven surfaces; climb up and down stairs; effectively utilize and lift issued equipment such as, but not limited to, two-way radio, keys, ticket-writing machine and printer, and self-contained breathing apparatus; expose hands to vibration; and continuously carry/wear issued equipment.
- Must be able to work variable shifts, including weekends and holidays. May be required to work mandatory overtime with short notice.
- Must be able to: continuously work outdoors in all kinds of weather; ride on a train for prolonged periods of time while remaining alert; and understand verbal communication over the two-way radio with background noise.
- May be required to work mandatory overtime with short notice.
- Ability to comprehend DARTs fare policy, fare media and the Ft. Worth T fare media.
- Ability to deal diplomatically with the public and to exercise good judgment in emergencies and confrontational situations.
- Analytical skills to find solutions to problems of limited complexity.
- Ability to demonstrate a fiduciary obligation to section, division, department, and DART in handling materials and information of a confidential nature.
- Ability to be dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Receives first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services.
Reports to DART Police Sergeant-Ops Supp *
Must be able to: continuously work outdoors in all kinds of weather; ride on a train for prolonged periods of time while remaining alert; and understand verbal communication over the two-way radio with background noise.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may perform other duties as assigned.
DART is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, supporting diversity in the workplace. M/F/D/V