|Job Title*:||Database Administrator ||Pay Grade*:||207 / Salary commensurate with|
experience and education
|Section*:||Data Analytics and Info Mgmt ||Job Code:||0888 |
|Division*:||Headquarters ||FLSA/EEO:||Exempt/Professionals |
|Department*:||Technology || || |
Provides agency-wide Oracle and SQL Server database management functions, develops and administers backup and disaster recovery procedures, assists project teams with designs and implementation of efficient and effective relational database storage schemas, maintains and optimizes existing application data repositories, and administers, installs, and upgrades all Oracle and SQL Server instances.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Installs, configures, upgrades, and administers multiple platforms to include and SQL Server and Oracle in Linux and Windows. Performs duties related to the installation of new SQL Server software, including evaluation, configuration and optimization of new software packages related to database management in single node, multi-node and clustered environments.
- Designs, implements, and manages backup and disaster recovery policies and procedures on an application basis to match application requirements.
- Manages SQL Server and Oracle storage in RAC configuration, schema, security and tuning database.
- Creates and updates PL/SQL and T-SQL scripts as needed.
- Supports other Technology Division employees in database related duties and functions as required.
- Serves as technical expert to internal/external contacts related to client service application development and maintenance.
- Devises and implements application optimization relative to data storage and retrieval application requirements.
- Implement appropriate data governance and access control measures to all databases managed.
- Analyzes data access problems and handle all incidents and service requests associated with database administration to determine cause and recommend solutions, follow through as directed by management.
- Provide 5-star customer service and meet Agency service level agreements (SLA).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Note: An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted for the below stated minimums excluding High School Diploma, GED, Licenses, or Certifications.
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related field.
- Five (5) years experience in Oracle and/or SQL Server database administration in UNIX or Linux or Windows operating or related environment to include at least three (3) years experience managing a database in an enterprise application environment.
- Proficient using PC and software applications. Working knowledge of UNIX or Linux or Windows servers, databases, and computer peripherals.
- Proficiency in SQL Clustering, OEM/Grid Control, RMAN, and knowledge of RAC, and partitioning techniques.
- Demonstrated expert Knowledge in administration of and SQL Server and Oracle database instances, user access schemas, and disaster recovery procedures.
- Certification from Microsoft Corporation as a SQL Database Administrator, MCSE or MCDBA. Oracle Education Services as a Certified Associate or an equivalent background of formal SQL training or ability to obtain training within six (6) months of appointment for continued employment.
- Working knowledge of data modeling techniques.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server and management tools.
- Perform work from remote locations as needed.
- Work variable hours, to include emergency response to outages.
- Must be able to work in an on-call rotation.
- Must maintain all certification(s) required for this position.
- Pass a physical (medical) examination that includes a drug screen in order to operate DART non-revenue vehicles.
- Ability to be dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services. Acts with customers in mind. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles. Can get messages across that have the desired effect.
- Ability to step up to conflicts, seeing them as opportunities. Read situations quickly. Good at focused listening. Can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably. Can find common ground and get cooperation with minimum noise.
- Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team.
- Ability to accurately scope out length and difficulty of tasks and projects.
- Ability to use rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions. Can see hidden problems. Is excellent at honest analysis. Looks beyond the obvious and does not stop at the first answers.
- Ability to marshal resources to get things done; uses resources effectively and efficiently; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal.
- Ability to quickly develop technical understanding; is good at learning new industry, company or technical knowledge.
- Analytical and creative skills to find solutions to complex interpersonal, technical and administrative problems.
- Ability to read a situation quickly. Good at focused listening. Can effectively negotiate difficult agreements and settle disputes equitably. Can find common ground and get cooperation with minimum conflict.
- Always seeks the best solutions for the Agency, Department, Section and data consumers.
- Ability to function effectively to deliver tangible products in Waterfall, Iterative, Hybrid and Agile Project methodologies.
- Actively participate in knowledge sharing and staff cross training to ensure that the division has a backup for all essential tasks and responsibilities.
Reports to Head of Data Analytics *
Works in an environment where there is minimum exposure to dust, noise, or temperature. May be moderately exposed to unpleasant working conditions to include dust, noise, temperature, weather, petroleum products, and chemicals while visiting DART's operating facilities, assuming incumbent is observing all policies and procedures, safety precautions and regulations, and using all protective clothing and devices provided.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may perform other duties as assigned.
DART is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, supporting diversity in the workplace. M/F/D/V