|Job Title*:||Project Mgr I-Service Planning ||Pay Grade*:||117 / Salary commensurate with|
experience and education
|Section*:||Service Planning ||Job Code:||0940A |
|Division*:||Headquarters ||FLSA/EEO:||Exempt/Professionals |
|Department*:||Service Planning & Scheduling || || |
Performs a variety of transit service planning activities, including designing bus routes and other services, engaging essential community stakeholders, evaluating current services, recommending and presenting subsequent improvements, and working with a team to manage and support relevant projects for the Service Planning work group in Dallas Area Rapid Transit's (DART) Service Planning and Scheduling Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares and develops data-focused and field-tested special area studies and makes technical recommendations regarding the schedule and/or route changes. The recommendations are designed and presented for management and community stakeholder review. This work relies on interpreted technical data.
- Designs new or modified bus routes and other transit services.
- Identifies and plans for new potential markets to expand transit ridership.
- Evaluates service performance relative to approved standards and makes recommendations to increase ridership and improve service efficiency. Compiles and updates a prioritized list of possible service additions and reductions if operating resources are increased or reduced, incorporating conventional fixed routes and innovative services as part of a comprehensive transportation program.
- Manages the Board of Directors and legally required process for significant service changes.
- Receives public input into the Service Planning process at community meetings, from customers or stakeholders directly, and at public hearings. Meets, as needed, with community groups, business groups, and other interested parties to facilitate Service Plan Development.
- Assumes a leading role with other staff members in coordinating service implementation via minor and significant service changes. May be required to oversee or coordinate work of other Service Planners. Assumes specific responsibilities of Manager of Service Planning in their absence.
- Assists in identifying problems and subsequent revision of policies, procedures, and standards for service planning.
- Creates and implements detours of long or moderate duration in consultation with other DART staff members, municipal staff members, developers, and construction companies.
- Provides input as needed into the bus stop placement process, the planning and design of capital facilities by DART staff, contractors, and the creation of changes to the street networks of the DART service area by municipal staff and contractors. Plans/implements service changes accordingly.
- Coordinates activities with other DART departments, government entities, consultants, and other impacted parties; prepares and/or reviews planning, project definition, criteria, design, scheduling, cost, and scope of services in coordination with other DART departments and government entities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Note: An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted for the below stated minimums excluding High School Diploma, GED, Licenses, or Certifications.
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, Transportation, or related field.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible transit service planning and analysis experience, including two (2) years experience at or above the level of Service Planner III; knowledge of methods and practices involved in transit service planning (ridership estimation, cost estimation, principles of service scheduling.
- Pass a physical (medical) examination that includes a drug screen to operate DART non-revenue vehicles.
- Proficiency in PC software applications, including Microsoft Office or other related software applications.
- Analytical and creative skills to solve complex interpersonal, technical, and administrative problems.
- Ability to be dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect. Gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services. Acts with customers in mind.
- Ability to make good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment). Sought out by others for advice and solutions. Most of their solutions and suggestions are correct and accurate when judged over time.
- Ability to pick up on technical things quickly. Can learn new skills and knowledge. Is good at learning new industries, companies, products, or technical expertise. Does well in technical courses and seminars.
- Ability to be able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles. Can get messages across that to have the desired effect.
- Ability to quickly find common ground and solve problems for all good. Can represent their interests and yet be fair to other groups. Can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise. Is seen as a team player and is cooperative. Quickly gains the trust and support of peers. Encourages collaboration. Can be candid with peers.
- Ability to use rigorous logic and methods to solve complex problems with practical solutions. Looks beyond the obvious and does not stop at the first answers. Is excellent at honest analysis.
Reports to Project Mgr II *
Works in an environment where there is minimum exposure to dust, noise, or temperature. May be moderately exposed to unpleasant working conditions to include dust, noise, temperature, weather, petroleum products, and chemicals while visiting DART's operating facilities, assuming incumbent is observing all policies and procedures, safety precautions and regulations, and using all protective clothing and devices provided.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may perform other duties as assigned.
DART is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, supporting diversity in the workplace. M/F/D/V