|Job Title*:||Rail Student Operator ||Beginning Pay*:||$17.60 hourly |
|Section*:||Rail Training ||Job Code:||1068B |
|Division*:||Service and Inspect Facility ||FLSA/EEO:||Non-exempt/Service and Maintenance |
|Department*:||Rail Operations-Operators || || |
Operates Dallas Area Rapid Transit's (DART) light rail vehicles (LRV) in a safe, dependable, efficient, and on-time manner to provide transportation services for patrons.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Safely operates light rail vehicles in revenue and non-revenue service in accordance with established operating rules/procedures, and published schedules; makes all required station stops/customer service announcements and provides assistance to customers as required.
- Communicates via a two-way radio system in accordance with DART rules, practices and policies.
- Performs basic light rail vehicle troubleshooting activities under the direction and guidance of the Train Control Center or Yard Control.
- Performs required pre-trip inspections of light rail vehicles prior to pulling train out of yard including conducting internal/external visual inspection of train, pre-testing all required control equipment, ensuring all required safety devices are intact/functional.
- Manually operates switches on the mainline and in the yard under the direction and guidance of TCC or Yard Control.
- Serves as On-Scene Coordinator as assigned
- Provides flagging protection for personnel working on or about the right-of-way.
- Prepares written reports and completes accident/incident reports thoroughly, accurately and legibly at the end of shifts as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Note: An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted for the below stated minimums excluding High School Diploma, GED, Licenses, or Certifications.
- High school or general education diploma (GED).
- Five (5) years experience in the operation of a motor vehicle and one (1) year of customer service contact experience.
- Ability to successfully complete rail operator training and annual recertification programs including achieving the required minimum passing scores on all written tests, demonstrated ability to operate trains safely and in compliance with operating rules/procedures and operating schedules; performs basic vehicle troubleshooting exercises.
- Valid Texas Drivers License (C), no Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) conviction within the last sixty (60) consecutive months, not more than one (1) DWI on driving record, and not more than two (2) convictions of moving violations on driving record within the last twenty four (24) consecutive months in order to operate DART revenue vehicles.
- Applicants must pass Department of Transportation (DOT)-required physical and pre-employment drug screen and employees must submit to Federal Transportation Administration-required random drug/alcohol testing as a condition of continued employment.
- Ability to take care of the customers needs while following company procedures; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers, as well as fellow employees, and gains their trust and respect.
- Ability to remain attentive while performing repetitive, routine tasks.
- Ability to use prudent judgment and common sense in making quick, safe decisions with minimal supervision and adapt to constantly changing operating environments.
- Deals effectively with conflict by maintaining composure, applying focused listening, understanding the customer needs, identifying alternatives and finding a resolution to the customers concern.
- Willing to step-up and take the initiative to address problems and needs that may require going beyond normal responsibilities; willing to go the extra mile to meet customer needs.
- Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion or job type.
- Ability to work variable shifts, irregular hours, nights, holidays, weekends, and short notice availability. May be required to travel to multiple work locations.
- Must work in a safe manner and constant state of alertness.
- Ability to promote a positive and inclusive work culture.
- Ability to have the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Ability to make decisions in the absence of guidance from others, and to plan and carry out work assignments in situations where the procedures have been established.
- Must have excellent customer service skills and be able to interact effectively with a diverse customer population while under pressure
- Must be able to orally communicate in an effective manner with the public, co-workers, supervisors and managers to ensure efficient operations; to promote safety; and to respond to emergencies. Must also be able to read and comprehend a variety of work related/required technical manuals, safety rules and regulations.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively in the English Language (orally and written).
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently.
Reports to Engineering Specialist-Trainin*
Exposure to all seasonal environmental conditions to include: heat, cold, humity, rail, snow, sleet, ice, high winds and dirt and dust.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may perform other duties as assigned.
DART is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, supporting diversity in the workplace. M/F/D/V