|Job Title*:||Sr Asst General Counsel ||Pay Grade*:||E1 / Salary commensurate with|
experience and education
|Section*:||Legal Admin ||Job Code:||1101B |
|Division*:||Headquarters ||FLSA/EEO:||Exempt/Professionals |
|Department*:||General Counsel || || |
Assist the General Counsel in providing legal advice to the agency, agency attorneys, outside counsel, agency vice presidents, assistant vice presidents, and other agency officers; handle matters in multiple areas of the law as assigned by the General Counsel; assist the General Counsel in the development and implementation of legal strategies that facilitate the accomplishment of agency goals and mission; assist the General Counsel in his/her role as the legal representative for DART by handling litigation and other legal matters in multiple areas of the law and at all levels of federal, state, and administrative courts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represents DART in multiple areas of the law with a primary focus on transactional matters.
- Assist DART in the drafting, negotiation and completion of various transactional matters including interlocal agreements and other various contracts.
- Assist DART in addressing real estate agreements, such as licenses, easements and other matters involving DART real estate.
- Assist DART in complying with the Public Information Act including direction to support staff, review of applicable Attorney General opinions, drafting of briefs to the Attorney General supporting withholding of information and remaining current on the Public Information Act.
- Assist DART through oversight of DARTs intellectual property, particularly DART trademarks. Provide or include advice and counsel, and, as needed, engage outside counsel, on trademark issues.
- Acts as a resource and liaison between the Legal Department and other Departments, as well as external contacts, such as outside counsel and governmental entities, concerning legal issues within areas of assigned responsibility.
- Performs legal research, legal writing, provides legal advice and support to the General Counsel, attorneys in the Legal Department, and executive management team and DART Board of Directors on all issues within areas of assigned responsibility.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Note: An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted for the below stated minimums excluding High School Diploma, GED, Licenses, or Certifications.
- Doctorate of Jurisprudence from an accredited law school. Licensed by the State Bar of Texas or eligible for such licensing.
- Minimum of ten (10) years experience as an attorney licensed to practice law in a transactions based practice to include two (2) years of legal experience with the Texas Public Information Act and/or Texas Open Meetings Act or related experience.
- Prefer legal experience with a Texas political subdivision and the private sector.
- High ethical standards and the ability to uphold a fiduciary obligation to DART and the Legal Department in the handling of sensitive and confidential matters.
- Demonstrated initiative, leadership and team-oriented skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; excellent research, writing and organizational skills required.
- Effective interpersonal skills to effectively and sensitively communicate with all levels of supervisory and non-supervisory employees, governmental entities, judges, outside counsel, opposing counsel, the public and staff when providing advice, counseling, interacting in meetings and explaining complex legal information.
- Ability to understand complex materials such as legal documents, case law, statutes as needed.
- Ability to concentrate on details and understand the transaction fundamentals when creating documents related to assigned duties.
Reports to General Counsel *
Works in an environment where there is minimum exposure to dust, noise, or temperature. May be moderately exposed to unpleasant working conditions to include dust, noise, temperature, weather, petroleum products, and chemicals while visiting DART's operating facilities, assuming incumbent is observing all policies and procedures, safety precautions and regulations, and using all protective clothing and devices provided.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may perform other duties as assigned.
DART is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, supporting diversity in the workplace. M/F/D/V