|Job Title*:||SMART Bus Student Operator ||Beginning Pay*:||$14.90 hourly |
|Section*:||SMART Bus Student Training ||Job Code:||5204 |
|Division*:||East Dallas Transportation ||FLSA/EEO:||Non-exempt/Service and Maintenance |
|Department*:||Bus Operations-Operators || || |
Operates Dallas Area Rapid Transit's (DART) revenue vehicles (bus) in a safe, dependable, efficient, and on-time manner to provide transportation services for patrons.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Safely operates DART owned vehicles in revenue and non-revenue service on prescribed routes while in strict compliance with DART policies, directives and procedures and all applicable traffic laws and regulations.
- Communicates via two-way bus radio system in accordance with DART established rules and regulations.
- Provides customer service information in a courteous, professional manner. This includes operating the automated stop announcements system and/or stating stop and public information announcements over the public address system, and properly answering questions and solving transit-related concerns of passengers.
- Collects/records bus fares in accordance with DART procedures.
- Maintains working knowledge of streets, current bus routes, and stops within the DART service area as well as current fare structure and bus pass programs.
- Completes accident and incident reports accurately and legibly as necessary at the end of scheduled trips.
- Performs required pre and post trip inspections of assigned equipment, reporting items for repair.
- Complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in operating the transit bus. This includes providing accessibility for disabled passengers to board and de-board and safely securing such passengers in a courteous manner, announcing designated stops and pre-testing all passenger accessibility equipment during pre-trip inspections.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Note: An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted for the below stated minimums excluding High School Diploma, GED, Licenses, or Certifications.
- High school or general education diploma (GED). Must be at least 21 years of age for the position as a bus operator.
- Five (5) years experience in the operation of a motor vehicle and one (1) year in a customer service environment.
- Must pass a technical knowledge test
- Must have passed written exams for Valid Texas Commercial Drivers License (CDL)-Class C to include passenger endorsement; no Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) conviction within the last sixty (60) consecutive months, not more than one (1) DWI on driving record, and not more than two (2) convictions of moving violations on driving record within the last twenty-four (24) months.
- Must pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) medical examination prior to hire and periodically as a condition of continued employment. Applicants and employees in these designated safety-sensitive positions are subject to DOT/FTA regulations which include DOT pre employment drug testing and random alcohol and drug testing as a condition of continued employment.
- Ability to successfully complete bus operator training including passing DPS driving test for CDL Class C with Passenger endorsement, achieving the required minimum passing scores on all written tests, demonstrated ability to operate vehicles safely and in compliance with operating rules/procedures and operating schedules.
- Ability to take care of the customers needs while following company procedures; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers, as well as fellow employees, and gains their trust and respect.
- Ability to use prudent judgment and common sense in making quick, safe decisions with minimal supervision and adapt to constantly changing operating environments.
- Deals effectively with conflict by maintaining composure, applying focused listening, understanding the customer needs, identifying alternatives and finding a resolution to the customers concern.
- Interpersonal skill to effectively and sensitively communicate with customers, all levels of supervisory and non-supervisory employees, and the public; must be able to communicate in the English language (orally and written).
- Willing to step-up and take the initiative to address problems and needs that may require going beyond normal responsibilities; willing to go the extra mile to meet customer needs.
- Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion or job type.
- Ability to work unusual hours, split shifts, weekends, holidays, and overtime as required, and to be available for work on short notice.
- Independent judgment to make decisions in the absence of guidance from others and to plan and carry out work assignments in situations where the procedures have been established.
Reports to Asst Mgr Training *
Occasional standing and walking on uneven surfaces; when walking to vehicle, will be on uneven surfaces; frequent to continuous vehicle operation and sitting; lifting/pulling up to an estimated 50lbs of force, to lift up a seat on the bus/rail car or to pull a lever; frequent to continuous use of hands for grasping; frequent to continuous use of hands for pushing and pulling;occasional to continuous use of feet for movement of foot controls; occasional pushing and pulling of objects to include individual or bench seats, interior and exterior panels; occasional bending; occasional to continuous twisting; occasional to continous reaching at waist and chest levels, at times reaching behind while in seated position; rare kneeling and or squatting;occasional to continous climbing into vehicle using steps;minimal hand exposure to vibration;variation in frequency in all of the above activities may occur with specified routes.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may perform other duties as assigned.
DART is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, supporting diversity in the workplace. M/F/D/V